Monday, June 2, 2014

RUMI



“The garden of the world has no limits,
except in your mind.” 
― Rumi


“The angel is free because of his knowledge,
 the beast because of his ignorance. 
Between the two remains the son of man to struggle.” 
― Rumi



“The world's flattery and hypocrisy is a sweet morsel:
eat less of it, for it is full of fire.
Its fire is hidden while its taste is manifest,
but its smoke becomes visible in the end. ” 
― Rumi



“let's get away from
all the clever humans
who put words in our mouth
let's only say what our hearts desire.” 
― Rumi



“The truth was a mirror in the hands of God.
It fell, and broke into pieces.
Everybody took a piece of it,
 and they looked at it and thought they had the truth.” 
― Rumi



“Whatever purifies you is the right path,
I will not try to define it.” 
― Rumi



“Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you.” 
― Rumi



“Everyone has been made for some particular work and the desire
 for that work has been put in every heart.” 
― Rumi



“Sadness to me is the happiest time,
When a shining city rises from the ruins of my drunken mind.
Those times when I'm silent and still as the earth,
The thunder of my roar is heard across the universe.” 
― Rumi



“Why am I seeking? 
I am the same as he. 
His essence speaks through me. 
I have been looking for myself” 
― Rumi



“Nothing can help me but that beauty.
There was a dawn I remember
when my soul heard something from your soul.

I drank water from your spring
and felt the current take me.” 
― Rumi





“There came one and knocked at the door of the Beloved.
And a voice answered and said, 'Who is there?'
The lover replied, 'It is I.'
'Go hence,' returned the voice;
'there is no room within for thee and me.'
Then came the lover a second time and knocked and again the voice demanded,
'Who is there?'
He answered, 'It is thou.'
'Enter,' said the voice, 'for I am within.” 
― Rumi



“You have no idea how hard I've looked for a gift to bring You.
Nothing seemed right.
What's the point of bringing gold to the gold mine,
or water to the ocean.
Everything I came up with was like taking spices to the Orient.
 It's no good giving my heart and my soul because you already have these.
 So I've brought you a mirror.
 Look at yourself and remember me.” 
― Rumi



“We may know who we are or we may not.
We may be Muslims, Jews or Christians
 but until our hearts become the mould for every heart
 we will see only our differences.” 
― Rumi



“Everything you possess of skill, and wealth, and handicraft,
wasn't it first merely a thought and a quest?” 
― Rumi



“I am not this hair,
I am not this skin,
I am the soul that lives within.” 
― Rumi



“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” 
― Rumi



“Love so needs to love
that it will endure almost anything,
even abuse,
just to flicker for a moment.
But the sky's mouth is kind,
its song will never hurt you,
for I sing those words.” 
― Rumi



“All day I think about it, then at night I say it.
Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing?
I have no idea.
My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that,
And I intend to end up there.

This drunkenness began in some other tavern.
When I get back around to that place,
I'll be completely sober. Meanwhile,
I'm like a bird from another continent, sitting in this aviary.
The day is coming when I fly off,
But who is it now in my ear who hears my voice?
Who says words with my mouth?

Who looks out with my eyes? What is the soul?
I cannot stop asking.
If I could taste one sip of an answer,
I could break out of this prison for drunks.
I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.
Whoever brought me here will have to take me home.

This poetry. I never know what I'm going to say.
I don't plan it.
When I'm outside the saying of it, I get very quiet and rarely speak at all.

We have a huge barrel of wine, but no cups.
That's fine with us. Every morning
We glow and in the evening we glow again.” 
― Rumi




“You have forgotten the One
who doesn't care about ownership,
who doesn't try to turn a profit
from every human exchange.” 
― Rumi, The Essential Rumi




“In silence there is eloquence.
Stop weaving and watch how the pattern improves."

"You suppose you are the trouble
But you are the cure

You suppose that you are the lock on the door
But you are the key that opens it

It's too bad that you want to be someone else
You don't see your own face, your own beauty
Yet, no face is more beautiful than yours."

"Only from the heart
 Can you touch the sky."

"People of the world don't look at themselves,
 and so they blame one another."

"Your task is not to seek for love,
but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” 
― Rumi




“Beyond our ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing,
there is a field. I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase ‘each other’
doesn’t make sense any more.” 
― Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment